This page reproduces short published obituaries of persons mentioned elsewhere in the Genealogy.


From: The Deanery of West Lawres Parish Magazine, January 1890 (Vol. XIV No.1)



Rector of Heapham-with-Upton.

On Saturday, December 14th, the Rev. Thomas Browne Vaughan passed to his rest after a lingering illness, at the age of 51. Mr. Vaughan was a Scholar of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, was ordained Deacon in 1862, and Priest in 1863, by the Bishop of Lichfield. From 1862 to 1871 he served as Curate of Heath in Derbyshire, a wide and scattered Parish, and it was here that he formed those habits of earnest and self-denying labour, which marked his ministry in later years. In 1871 he was appointed by Col. W. Cracroft Amcotts, Vicar of Upton, and in 1876 the charge of Heapham was added to that of Upton. He has left an outward evidence of his work at Upton in the restoration of the Church from a condition of decay and neglect to a state of order and beauty. He has also laboured faithfully in restoring the spiritual fabric of the Church, and the Mission which was held at Upton nearly three years ago, gave evidence that his work was bearing fruit. No one could have been present at those Mission Services without feeling how heartily all the true children of the Church in Upton appreciated Mr. Vaughan's life and labours; and we have reason to know that Mission was a bright spot in this life to the last, and an assurance of the love and loyalty of his people which he greatly valued. Mr. Vaughan was also well known throughout the Rural Deanery of Corringham as Religious Inspector of Church Schools. Indeed it is to be feared that he overweighted himself with voluntary labours to which his physical strength was unequal. For the last four years it has been evident to all, who had eyes to see, that Mr. Vaughan's life was being gradually sacrificed in his Master's Cause.
(There follows a description of the Funeral Service and a list of the officiating Clergy.)

click here to return to the main file, or on the "BACK" button above.


From: Lac Ste. Anne Chronicle, January 1965

William Hallowes, Pioneer Alfalfa Grower, Dies at 73

  PEAVINE - William Edward Hallowes, one of the best known of the early settlers in the Peavine district, passed away December 10, a few days before the 73rd anniversary of his birth.
   Mr. Hallowes was born in India where his father was an officer in the British army. He was educated in England and came to Canada in 1910; he worked for a while on a farm in Ontario and attended the Ontario Agricultural College at Guelph before coming west in 1912. He took up a homestead on the north shore of Lake Romeo and after the outbreak of World War I he enlisted in the 49th Battalion CEF. He was one of the original "bombers" with the 49th and saw much action in France, being wounded twice while with them. He was appointed to a commission in the British army and served with distinction until the end of the war with the Shropshire Light Infantry, being recommended for the Military Cross.
   With the Shropshires he served in the Near East and was wounded for the third time while in action against the Turks in Palestine. After the conquest of Palestine in 1918 the Shropshires were sent to France, arriving in time to be in the thick of fighting before the Armistice was signed. In this fighting he was wounded for the fourth time and was evacuated to a hospital in England. In Nov. 1918 he married Miss Dorothy Cattermole and, after being stationed in Ireland for a while, he and his bride set sail for Canada and arrived in Peavine in May of 1919.
   They purchased a neighbouring quarter section through the Soldier Settlement Board and built the house that has been their home since that time. In the early twenties Mr. Hallowes succeeded in growing a variety of alfalfa called Cossack - previous attempts by others to grow a different variety of alfalfa had failed - and became one of the best known growers of alfalfa seed in the west and even shipped alfalfa seed to places as far away as Newfoundland and Kenya in Africa. Also in the twenties, with part of the farm seeded to sweet clover, he and Mrs. Hallowes went in for bee keeping and gradually increased the number of hives until, in later years, bee-keeping became their full time summer occupation and their sons operated the farm.
   He was a keen churchman, having helped to build the Anglican Church here, hauling lumber by ox team from Sangudo in February, 1914 and served as church warden for many, many years.
   Besides being the first to be successful with alfalfa seed production and the large scale production of honey in this district, he was the first to grow alsike clover seed on a large scale and the first farmer to try out a combine here. His interest in bees continued until a heart attack forced him to give up beekeeping in the late summer of 1964. After some time spent in the hospital at Barrhead he was staying with his son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. R. Hallowes, when he passed away.
   Interment took place in the Peavine cemetery December 15 with the Rev. C. Chew of Mayerthorpe officiating.
   He is survived by his loving wife Dorothy; four sons, Edward of Mayerthorpe, Arthur, Brabazon and Richard of Peavine and 10 grandchildren.

click here to return to the main file, or on the "BACK" button above.


29th. (Worcestershire) Regiment.

From a local newspaper, November 1879:
  The family of the Rev. J.H.K. Ward, of this town, are plunged in the deepest distress by the receipt of a telegram announcing the death of Mr. Ward's second son, by typhoid fever, at Mhow, Central India. Lieutenant Ward, after being educated at Marlborough College and Woolwich (should be: Sandhurst), passed into the army with credit, and sailed for India last spring. Her Majesty has lost a promising officer, and the greatest sympathy is felt for his esteemed relatives.
From the Marlborough College Magazine:
  At the end of last term the Marlburian contained a brief announcement of the death of Lieut. A.H. Kirwan Ward of the 29th. Regiment; the suddenness of the news, and the busy time at which it came upon us, are our best excuse for the absence of a longer paragraph than a mere obituary notice. Arthur Ward joined the school in September, 1870, and left us for Sandhurst at the end of the October term of 1876. Though he was a Home-boarder, he so thoroughly identified himself with the life of the school that the House which was fortunate enough to be able to claim his companionship had no more vigorous or enthusastic member; and his was a striking instance of the very great reciprocal benefits which may result to Home-boarders and Houses by tightening as close as possible the ties which bind them together. Beyond his House, however, he was well-known at the Races, in Football, in the Gymnasium. Many will remember his unfailing courage, which gave excitement to some of the pluckiest finishes which our athletic sports have seen of late years, and which, in spite of his small slight figure, gave him prominence in the Football of the School. His was a quiet undemonstrative nature, but one of thorough manliness and kindliness; and one feature in his character deserves special notice. “I never remember him,” writes one who knew him most intimately, “speaking with dislike of anybody, whether at the College, or at Sandhurst, or in his regiment; if he did not quite like anybody, the only way we could ever know it was by his silence about him.” By his death the army lost an officer of real promise, and Marlborough one of her most affectionate sons.      C.S.

The Compiler is indebted to Mr. Malcolm Brown for sending him this material.

click here to return to the main file, or on the "BACK" button above.

Compiled by G.K. Armstrong, 35 Cedars Road, London W4 3JP.


latest additions 4/1/2009

new e-mail address 23/6/2009